I’ve been filling a hole that probably doesn’t need filled but I feel like I do a lot of that.
This latest waste of time whatchamacallit is SDL2_bmfont. It’s an extension of SDL2 which allows you to load and draw bitmap fonts generated by AngelCode’s BMFont application. I don’t have a picture because it’s a thing which loads and draws text and that’s really boring because you see it all the time like right now in your browser and I’m pretty sure you’ll be unfazed by it’s awesomeness.
You can get a rundown of the features by visiting the project over at GitHub:
It’s 100% C (despite what GitHub says) and works pretty much as you would think. You load the font, draw a string, then free the font when you are done with it. Check out samples/example.c for how it works.
With SDL2_ttf being a thing and all this probably has no real application, but I thought it would be cool anyway.
If you want to add to it or fix a bug or whatever that would be cool as that’s totally how open source works so go right ahead.
Now if you excuse me I have to crawl back under my rock. See you in a couple of months…
I’ve been learning to use Git! It’s black magic. I’ve made a private “Git server” out of some old hardware, ssh, git, ddclient, and no-ip which I’m hoping will make me more productive.
I also created a GitHub account! Now I can store code on the popular web service and make it easier to browse, update, and share. I started by uploading the source to several things that I’ve posted to the blog. I’m going to go back and update the posts, but I thought I should make an update out of it anyway.
Without further ado, here’s a bunch of things and their GitHub links!
I’ve moved on again; you should be used to this by now. Currently, I’m having fun making an engine in C with SDL2 and SDL2_* (SDL2_Mixer, SDL2_net, etc) libraries. So far I have:
image/font loading and drawing
sound loading and playing
automatic resource management; when I load the thing it automatically gets deallocated when I terminate the engine.
an FPS limiter
better input management on top of SDL_Events
In its current state I can probably make something. But I want to add an animation system, multiplayer capabilities, and Tiled map loading. Then I want to make an MMORPG with it. I have some ideas of how that’s going to work.
During grade 11 I did Standard Level Music as part of the International Baccalaureate Program. A good portion of my grade came from an assignment called the Musical Investigation. It was a 1500 word paper where I had to compare two genres from different time periods using specific, representative samples from each. Also part of the assignment, interestingly, was to present it in some form other than the traditional essay style.
I chose to do mine on JPop and British Punk, where I compared Zankoku na Tenshi no These by Yoko Takahashi to Anarchy in the UK by the Sex Pistols. My originally intention was to make it a game, although that didn’t work out, so I chose the next best alternative: I formatted my paper as a website. And it was a hoot! (Or as much fun one can have doing any school related assignment)
Here are a couple of things I can say in retrospect. First, I thought the design was cool when I made it but now it just looks terrible. I was going for some complex gold mixed in with simple blue elements and I guess it didn’t work. Second, my writing was (and still is) terrible. Third, I don’t think I did a very good analysis of the two pieces. I feel now that I am more knowledgeable that I have a lot more to say. But that was 2011 and that was so two years ago.
Normally I wouldn’t repost this, but I put it on my resumé so… yeah.